La Valdichiana

La Valdichiana

Storie dal Territorio della Valdichiana

Tag: burg

The village of Castelmuzio

Let’s continue our journey to discover the most interesting places of this territory, which can become a surprise and a destination for both tourists and residents of Valdichiana, which are…

Let’s continue our journey to discover the most interesting places of this territory, which can become a surprise and a destination for both tourists and residents of Valdichiana, which are chasing memories of the past. Our territory is rich in beautiful landscapes, villages and artworks, which have roots in history and they form a fixed point of reference for our future.

Among the most charming and interesting medieval villages that we can find within Valdichiana municipalities, there is definitely Castelmuzio, a part of the municipality of Trequanda. The origins of the village date back to the Etruscan Era, as proved by the discovery of the remains of a temple, dedicated to the Goddess Isis near the settlement, as well as tombs, urns and Etruscan inscriptions. To find official tracks of Castelmuzio, however, we must go beyond the year 1000 A.D.. In some documents of the 9th century of the Badia Amiatina of St. Salvatore (St. Salvatore’s Abbey), the place is called “Casale Mustia”, while it was called “Castello” (Castle) by its residents. In other documents, dating back to 1213 A.D., in the State Archive of Siena, it was appointed as “Castel-Mozzo“.

During the Middle Ages, Castelmuzio was owned by Messrs. Cacciaconti della Scialenga, former Lords of Montisi and owners of the farm of Fratta in Sinalunga. In 1270 A.D., the village passed to the Hospital of Santa Maria della Scala in Siena, whose coat of arms is still present in some farms in the surroundings; it was bought then by Andrea Piccolomini in 1470 A.D.; the domain broke in 1559 A.D. with the defeat of the Republic of Siena and it was annexed to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, ruled by Medici. After the unification of Italy, Castelmuzio became definitively part of the municipality of Trequanda.

The hamlet of Castelmuzio was erected on the crest of a tuff hill, at the foot of Mount Lecceto. Its structure follows the model of the medieval fortified castle, surrounded by walls and ramparts to facilitate the defence of the inhabitants. At the entrance of the village, there is a monument to the fallen and the ancient stone on which St. Bernardino of Siena used to rest. Within the village, there are many notable historic buildings, such as Palazzo Fratini, which was the seat of the Court and the name of the place is probably due to this, to its cut off tower. On the main square there is the Spedale of St. John the Baptist as well, which used to offer accommodation and food to travellers and orphans, as well as provide a dowry for girls without assets, who wanted to get married. It’s worth mentioning also the Brotherhood of the Holy Trinity and St. Bernardino, founded in 1450 A.D., equipped with a small pharmacy and a hospice for pilgrims on the Via Francigena; the oratory and the Sienese church, dedicated to the Saint, host a Sacred Art Museum rich in valuable specimens.

Today Castelmuzio is a part of the comune of Trequanda, with less than 300 inhabitants. Situated near Petroio and Montisi, it is definitely a suggestive part of a visit through Valdorcia and Valdichiana and Val d’Asso.

Nessun commento su The village of Castelmuzio

The burg of Farnetella

The Valdichiana has large territorial municipalities with more than 10,000 inhabitants, but also some peculiar burgs that might go unnoticed by tourists or even by citizens themselves. In our journey…

The Valdichiana has large territorial municipalities with more than 10,000 inhabitants, but also some peculiar burgs that might go unnoticed by tourists or even by citizens themselves. In our journey through the places of interest of the Valdichiana, today it’s the turn of Farnetella, close to Sinalunga, Scrofiano, Rigomagno.

Farnetella is a small burg that still keeps the fascinating medieval features – and it’s 419 m above sea level. It is structured around a castle with four parallel burgs and four main streets – and it there are only 140 inhabitants. Around the village traces of the walls can be seen, as well as a semicircular defensive tower. Farnetella centre is San Giovanni Square (Piazza San Giovanni) and Farnia Square (Piazza Farnia). The English oak, a part of the Oaks family, is the symbol of the burg and it’s likely that this was the origin of the name of Farnetella.

Farnetella origins can be traced back to the 6th century. The first document dates back to 1175 A.D., with whom Siena ordered the Scialenga Counts to return Farnetella castle to the Barotti Counts – an evidence of the antiquity of the village, it’s probably earlier than Rigomagno. It was during that period, that the Valdichiana was affected by the splitting of great noble families and it was affected by the construction of many castles and residences, which can be traced back to the origin of Farnetella.

The Castle of Farnetella was built on a hill called Castelvecchio and it was a noble possession together with San Gimignanello, Montalceto and Castiglioni, near Rapolano; These lands were owned first by Barotti Family, later by Cacciaconti Family. In 1271 A.D. Farnetella was accused of treason by the Republic of Siena, for hosting some Ghibellines: according to the law, the castle was burned to the ground by the troops of Camollia. The pleas of innocence on the part of the inhabitants of Farnetella were so persistent that, in 1295 A.D., Siena allowed them to return to live in the reconstructed court a hundred meters further downstream.

The alleged treason was not the only dramatic moment for Farnetella: in 1324 A.D. the rebellious Guccio Tolomei sacked it and burned it down. The inhabitants were forced to rebuild the village and provide the burg with wider walls which allowed it to resist, in 1554 A.D., the assault by a contingent of Charles V’s army. Farnetella remained an independent municipality for a long time, but at the end of the 18th century it was annexed by the nearby municipality of Sinalunga.

The current appearance of Farnetella is due to Adolfo Ferrari, owner of the estate in the 19th century. In December 1889 began the construction of a large residential building for richer visitors – however, it remained incomplete; the Villa and the main body of the castle still characterize the appearance of the entire burg. There are still preserved frescoes, antique furniture and a wooden dining room inside of them, done by sculptor Giovanni Sammicheli.

For a list of owners and other historical curiosities, please visit Farnetella website.

2 commenti su The burg of Farnetella

The Burg of Montefollonico

Let’s continue our travel across Valdichiana main places of interest, by paying close attention to castles and burgs. Today is the turn of Montefollonico, a small burg in the municipality…

Let’s continue our travel across Valdichiana main places of interest, by paying close attention to castles and burgs. Today is the turn of Montefollonico, a small burg in the municipality of Torrita, on the border between Valdichiana and Valdorcia.

Montefollonico rises up on the top of a hill, a few kilometers away from Torrita di Siena: it’s a striking burg made of stone, inhabited by 500 people, and it can be easily reached from Montepulciano and from Pienza. As you can see on the signs, Montefollonico has the orange flag, that proves it’s a quality tourist hub and a quality environmental place. This flag is given by the Italian Touring Club: as a matter of fact, the burg stands out for its well preserved old town centre, made of narrow and contorted streets which twist and turn among Medieval buildings. It also offers high quality food services and it has a rich network of roads, in order to enjoy the landscape.

The history of Montefollonico is very old. Thanks to the finding of some tools in a place called “Il Tondo”, the presence of the Neanderthals is confirmed, around 60.000 years ago. Moreover, there are some traces and signs from around the Etruscan and Roman age. The true developement of the burg had place after 1.000 A.D., thanks to the foundation of the parish church by the Cistercian monks; the monks were dedicated to fulling wool (hence “fullones” in Latin, which was kept in the etymology of Montefollonico).

The strategic position of the fortified burg was used in 13th century by the Republic of Siena, as an outpost against Montepulciano, allied with Florence. This was a prosperous period for the burg and most of the buildings – still there nowadays – go back to that period. Its independence last until 1552 A.D., when it capitulated to the Spanish imperial army, and then it passed into the possession of House of Medici two years later.

The walls of Montefollonico are a distinctive feature of the burg: they are well preserved and there still is a castle and many towers. The tree gateways, which give access to the old town centre, are still clearly visible: they are called Porta a Follonica, Porta del Triano and Porta del Pianello. Inside the burg there are the Church of St. Leonard and the cloister of Saint Mary, which go back to 12th century, in addition to the early Christian church of St. Bartholomew, that goes back to 7th century. Another interesting place is the natural park called “Il Tondo”, on the top of the hill, near Montefollonico, made of cypresses and holm oaks set out circularly.

One of the main reasons why visiting Montefollonico is the tradition of the Vin Santo. It’s also knows as the “Burg of the Vin Santo”, the sweet white wine matched with the Tuscan specialty of the cantucci (almond biscuits). The production of the Vin Santo in Montefollonico is not limited to agricultural businessmen, but it’s also made by amateurs who inherited the typical techniques to be able to produce that sweet white wine in their basements. This tradition is celebrated every December in the event called “Would you like a bit of Vin Santo?”, related to hospitality towards the tourists.

To sum up: Montefollonico is not only suggested to tourists, for it’s an interesting place for its venues, or it’s a cool place where to spend an afternoon, maybe in its old town centre, or walking through the paths of the natural park. You can still breathe a very Medieval atmosphere within its walls!

 

4 commenti su The Burg of Montefollonico

Type on the field below and hit Enter/Return to search